
Shots ripped through a Republican candidate’s home while his wife and little kids were inside—another reminder that political intimidation can turn violent fast.
Story Snapshot
- Huntersville, North Carolina police are investigating a drive-by shooting that targeted the home of Aaron Marin, a Republican candidate for Mecklenburg County Commission District 1.
- Reports say 7–10 rounds were fired around 7:40 p.m., striking property including vehicles, a mailbox, and a children’s basketball court; no one was injured.
- Marin said the shots were “intentionally directed” at his house and stated his family is shaken but he will not be intimidated out of the race.
- Investigators collected shell casings and are reviewing Ring camera footage; as of Feb. 18, 2026, no arrests have been announced.
What happened at the Marin home in Huntersville
Huntersville Police responded Monday evening, around 7:40 p.m., after gunfire hit the residence of Aaron Marin, the Republican running for Mecklenburg County Commission District 1. Accounts of the incident say 7–10 shots were fired in a drive-by and struck property around the home, including vehicles, a tree, a mailbox, and a children’s basketball area. No injuries were reported, but Marin said his children had been outside shortly beforehand.
Gear up is all I have to say on this.
Republican County Commissioner Candidate’s Home in Charlotte Targeted in Horrific Drive-By Shooting — 7–10 SHOTS FIRED While Wife and Young Children Were Inside! https://t.co/ZVZwqkJaRW #gatewaypundit via @gatewaypundit
— TruthvsJustice (@DemocratsGoLow) February 18, 2026
Police treated the scene as a serious criminal investigation, with a crime scene unit recovering evidence and searching for video. Reports say shell casings were found in the driveway, and both Marin and a neighbor provided Ring camera footage. Police Chief Brian Vaughan confirmed the incident occurred and that evidence was collected, while investigators have not publicly identified suspects or a motive. That leaves the central question—why this house, on this night—unanswered for now.
Marin’s statement: shaken family, no retreat from the campaign
Marin publicly described the shooting as targeted, saying the rounds were “intentionally directed only at our house.” He emphasized that his wife and two young sons were inside during the attack, describing a family shaken by the experience. Marin also praised the Huntersville Police Department’s response and said he rejects political violence. He framed his next steps in personal terms: protect his family, cooperate with investigators, and continue campaigning despite the fear now attached to his home.
Political-violence claims remain unproven as investigators stay quiet on motive
Because Marin is the only Republican running for the District 1 commission seat in a blue-leaning local environment, some commentary has suggested the shooting may have been political intimidation. The available reporting, however, does not provide evidence tying the shooter to politics, and police have not announced a motive. From a rule-of-law standpoint, that distinction matters: crimes should be charged and prosecuted based on proof, not on online narratives that can outrun verified facts.
Why the case resonates: suburban safety, local crime debates, and constitutional stakes
Huntersville is often viewed as a family-oriented suburb, so residents naturally react when gunfire hits a home where children live and play. The shooting also lands amid broader debate about crime and public safety in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area, including recent attention at a GOP-led hearing criticizing local leadership on crime. Even without a known motive, the practical takeaway is unavoidable: families and candidates alike rely on competent policing, swift prosecution, and a culture that does not excuse threats or normalize violence.
As of Feb. 18, 2026, the public record reflected in the available reports remains limited: no arrests, no suspect description, and no stated motive. That means the immediate burden falls on investigators to work the evidence—shell casings, video footage, and any witness tips—and on local leaders to keep pressure on public safety basics rather than ideological distractions. For voters, the incident is a sobering reminder that civic participation should not come with a target on your front door.
Sources:
North Carolina Republican Candidate’s Home Targeted In Suspected Drive-By Shooting
NC District 1 Republican Candidate’s House Was Shot At in a Drive-By
How the GOP lost the plot at Charlotte crime hearing































